A Few Little Treats

When we were on holiday in the summer, I expressed a wish that I could have an acting job to keep me busy and inspired. Before starting the regular autumn season of corporate conferences, I was fortunate to have three. They've been great fun and varied, allowing me to work with some old friends and make new ones. All three productions will end up being shown within about two weeks of each other. Now it's back to the world of corporate conferences. Rehearsals have heightened, filming is taking place, videos and presentations are being prepared, and on a day-to-day basis, the emails I have to answer yes or no to fill my inbox. So it's a great treat this week to have Brayden's mum over from Canada. I arranged a little scheme with her so she could be here for his birthday at the end of the month. She's an absolute delight, and having lunch with your prospective mother-in-law is good fun, if not a little daunting. I'm fortunate that autumn brings familiar work. Even if sometimes the familiarity is a little challenging, it's great to be back with a team of people who I trust implicitly and who are the best in their field. Add a few new faces each year and hopefully produce quality results. These days, we all need something to support our acting work, and I've been fortunate that the corporate sector has done that for me for quite a while. However, these alternate jobs are not something one can pick up casually. They need an investment of time and interest, and the times I turned down acting work to complete corporate assignments in my 40s are now paying dividends 20 years later. Investment is necessary in any business but doesn't always mean money. An investment of time to acquire a skill or enhance an ability may reap untold rewards. It's also something that can support one's first passion. This work has allowed me the freedom to choose acting jobs and given me an income that has given me stability and has not diminished the thrill of returning to stand in front of the camera. Getting that balance right is critical. It's not easy, but it helps make everything more fulfilling when it works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Times

New Year, New Start, New Dishwasher

Christmas comes but once......