Packing Up

Looking out of the boat's windows this morning, it's a pretty gloomy day, and the dilemma of what to wear presents itself. Yesterday was bright, gorgeous, warm sunshine, and it was easier to decide. This constant climate change makes you think about what's in your wardrobe. And it's compounded at this time of year by the fact that when I pull something out of the dressing room to say “Yes, I'll wear this today.” I think, “Oh no, I'd better keep that because we're going on holiday.” Childhood holidays in Yorkshire always meant two sets of best clothes, probably with a new holiday sweater, two pairs of shorts and swimming trunks, and some bright t-shirts for playing in on the beach. But that was the fashion-conscious Bridlington. My partner and I are setting off on an twelve-day, thousand-mile self-drive road trip around Iceland. It's a huge adventure that will require wardrobe planning. Every night, a different hotel. So, no throwing things in the case with that “it might come in useful” attitude. A couple of sweaters, a heavy warm jacket, hiking boots, trainers, and some relatively warm and hopefully fetching headgear. I'm immensely excited about the trip. I paid a short visit to Reykjavik a few years ago, and I've long loved the Dark Iceland crime books of Ragnar Jónasson. So we'll be trekking around the ring road; the snowmobiles are waiting. I hope somebody's told the whales that we'll be watching and there'll be hot springs on a regular basis. We should return with skins like babies. We have another big holiday planned for later in the year involving cars — my partner Brayden's passion. This time last year, we hadn't met, and yet now we're coming up to the first anniversary of our journey through life together. Part of the excitement of next week's trip is the anticipation. Just like the preparation for Christmas, the carols, the choosing and wrapping of the presents, and the buying of the turkey,are all aprt of the day itself, so holidays don't begin when you enter the airport. Planning what to take, where to go, and what you might do is all part of the fun, particularly on something like this, an expedition rather than a chill on the beach holiday. The great thing is I'm doing it with somebody I love. We're journeying together through life and around the A1 of Iceland. That is what will make it fun. That is what will make it exciting. And that will make it lovable and extra special—just like every day at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Times

New Year, New Start, New Dishwasher

Christmas comes but once......