Handing It On.

I can just about remember the first morning of my professional theatre career. Walking into a busy rehearsal room in Warwick Avenue; a room already a buzz with the sound of greetings and cries of “Hail Fellow well met” in Shakespearean tones. It was daunting and exciting beyond belief.

Throughout that first rehearsal period, I remember the moments of learning. Watching experienced older actors for whom this was now just a job, executing it with deft touches I had never even imagined during my three years of hardened training. The little tips I learned by watching them, and the advice I gained from them over post rehearsal glasses of wine and long coach journeys between venues on a European tour have long stayed with me. It was a wonderful way to learn.

I never imagined that I would be in a position whereby my knowledge of the profession would be of worth, but during my tenure as chairman of the Actors Centre, I was lucky enough to be involved with the Alan Bates award. For some five or six years, I mentored one of the top placed contestants. I learned as much from them as they may have done from me and gained a valuable insight into what it is like to be a young actor in the 21st-century. An insight which enabled me to write my book “The Working Actor”, a tome I hope that may have helped one or two hopefuls.

One or two of those mentorships have turned into long-lasting friendships. Young actors who I am proud to know and follow their work. Happy to be on the end of a phone call or a WhatsApp conversation for that bit of advice when needed.

My major project this year, for which I am very grateful, has been to direct a feature film for a large corporate client. When casting, as well as turning to my address book to find some tried and tested performers who would bring assurance, skill, technique, humour and warmth to the shoot, I was keen to use some new actors. Actors for whom this would be the first time stepping onto a film set. Actors who may have been having a harder than usual time during the last 18 months.

I think we had a good mix of both. The young actors were in open admiration of the more seasoned performers who could step before the camera and deliver beautifully paced comedy on the first take. The older actors were keen to support their younger colleagues, offering a discreet word of wisdom when needed, and a heartfelt sentence of praise when suited.

We are now in the second month of editing, and through various rough cuts, I have seen the work of everyone involved. It’s great to watch, but it makes me even more keen to ensure that the young actors who gave their hearts and souls for three and a half weeks in June have the ongoing support they need.

I’ve been doing zoom calls which have been great fun and helping on some self tapes. Together with other actors involved in the project, I’ve been lucky enough to pr ovide some guidance on agents and headshot photographers and for some, it’s paid dividends.

I don’t think I’ve had a perfect career and I haven’t yet made a fortune on which I can retire, but I have been lucky enough to assemble a CV that many younger actors envy and have had some opportunities which made me feel blessed. Now it’s my duty to pass some of that on. And believe me, it’s no hardship.

Watching young people you’re supporting r eceive good news is just as good, if not more so, than receiving it yourself. Knowing that just the right piece of advice can tip something in their favour and give them the opportunities that you yourself were so keen to have many years ago.

A




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today