To Talk Talk or not to Talk Talk



It's that time of year when a whole new batch of drama graduates are beginning to realise that they are heading towards the moment when the real world beckons. Already in the middle of their autumn term of the final year of drama school, a sword of Damocles, is hanging over their head in the form of agent selection, employment possibilities, and the real wide world of making a living as an actor.

Over the last couple years, The Actors Centre has engaged in a much more positive and immediate way with graduates. The Alan Bates award has become much sought after and over 60% of graduates from manageable schools next year will probably apply for it. I think I would too as one looks at the prize fund. Not only a huge selection of work goodies such as Equity membership, Spotlight membership, show reel, voice reel, workshop credit and professional mentoring, but a goodie bag of books, fabulous Ted Baker clothes, and the sort of things that just make you feel good.

As part of spreading the word about what the Actors Centre does, we have been out and about visiting drama schools. Not to give a talk, as I think the last thing I would want to have to sit and listen to during my final year at drama school would be a couple of outsiders coming in to rabbit on to me for an hour, but to answer questions about what worries and fears the graduates may have about stepping out into the real world. Then we can hopefully enlighten them as to the wealth of opportunities that somewhere such as the Actors Centre can provide to make this transition easier.

It's interesting to know that whichever drama school we go to, the groups seem to be much the same in their make up. The majority of people interested, and yet hard to distinguish one from the other. There's always a couple of standout characters, either through their attempts to be funny, or through a good level of engagement, and it's usually easy to spot at least one or two people sitting a couple of rows back who give the impression that none of this really applies to them as they're going to be successful anyway.

I'm not sure which one I fell into in my final year. I can't really remember any organised industry interaction by my drama school at all. Up in Manchester we had direct contact with the profession, and thanks to one tutor who was still a working actor and had a wife at Granada who was a producer, I was doing small parts in Granada TV productions from the summer of my first year. I think I also had a touch of the "it doesn't really apply to me" syndrome and despite not picking up an agent from our showcase, I picked up an eight month contract at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester and so didn't have to worry about the pressures of unemployment and finding a job until well into the following year. But it happens to all of us at some point. It still happens to me at the age of….. Well let's just say approaching 60 shall we?….. And even though I might be perceived as successful, I still worry about where the next job will come from, and when it will happen.


I would argue that there are other things in my life that keep me busy, occupied, interested, and keep my skills up to speed. That's what the Actors Centre can do for all the potential talent that is about to burgeon out into the market next year.

It can make sure that the world you're going out into is not a place that you're alone in.

It can provide practical services, and personal help.


Although I worked regularly throughout my 20s, and 30s I wouldn't say that I achieved anything that I would equate until success until I was 40. Many actors leaving drama school don't make it to that milestone. In the early 90s I directed quite a few productions of the London drama school, and all those graduates will now passed that life beginning number 40. Incredibly few of them are still working as actors.

For some of us though, our full potential does not become evident until we become older. Having played lead roles of older men throughout my final year at drama school, I was rather surprised to find that my talent wasn't immediately transferred to playing lead roles of younger men. It wasn't. I spent an awful lot of time as "third fellow in town" and "Abraham" which is those of you who know the play "Romeo and Juliet" would immediately perceive is not the most demanding roles.

Some others need time to grow into ourselves as actors. Finding that time in a world where we also have to pay the bills, fill our time, and maintain our self-esteem and dignity is not always easy.

It can be done.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today