Magical Visits




So we have had most of the first week of 2013, and I have to say it's been a really good start.

Finished working through the publisher edits on the manuscript for my book. Got an extremely busy January ahead, which includes filming an episode of "Vera" for ITV in Northumberland, as well as two trips to Amsterdam. Set up a meeting for a theatre production  I would like to be part of, and picked up a few half day jobs here and there throughout the month.

Without a doubt the highlight of the week had to be my visit to the penguins on New Year's Day. Several years ago, for my anniversary present, Richard bought me an "adopt a penguin" gift. The aforementioned penguin was one Roxy who resided at London zoo, and for my gift, I went to visit Roxy- a Rock Hopper Penguin -  and gaze at her from the public viewing area. We went to the zoo on a very cold afternoon. It was a Sunday and I was streaming with cold. We made our way to the penguin enclosure, and tried to single out Roxy. It wasn't difficult. Rock hoppers have rather fantastic extravagant hairdos, but what made it much easier on this occasion was that at least 10 other people were also trying to single out Roxy because…….. yes, they too had adopted her. One of ZSL London Zoo's several moneymaking schemes.

Ricky
Nowadays you can adopt Ricky. Ricky is a rock hopper penguin too.  I know that because I met him. In actual fact I shook hands with him, or should I say we shook hand to wing!

My anniversary present this year was a Meet the Penguins encounter. I've always been obsessed with penguins, and am not sure why. They are gorgeous characterful little creatures, who always seem to have a sense of purpose, and a born ability to entertain with their antics. Gorgeous to look at, smart, and yet not as cuddly as they might  first appear to be when you get close to them (sounds a little like me in fact!).

 So for the Meet the Penguin experience you turn up at London zoo. First you take out a small mortgage for the car park. Next, and someone may have been kind enough to do this for you as was they were in my case, you buy admission tickets to the zoo. Then you turn up at Penguin beach at the time of the penguin show which you watch with the rest of the public. It's after this that the fun begins. Limited to only six people at a time on any one day you're taken by a keeper into a small private enclosure next to Penguin beach and you sit on the ground. The Penguins can wander in and out at will.

Hello Pickle
Primrose and Mr Howle
 I sat on the ground and immediately the two penguins in the enclosure made their way over to me to investigate. Primrose and Pickle.  Suddenly you become aware that all penguins aren't the same. Their markings are infinitesimally different  and it's these that the keeper looks at to immediately know what they've been named. Penguins are quite heavy boned which helps them to sink, unlike other birds who have hollow bones which help them to fly. It makes them sturdy little creatures, soft to stroke,  and yet keen and nosy with quite sharp beaks. They became absolutely fascinated with the lens on Richard's camera, the zip fastening on my coat pocket, and the buttons on Richards jacket. All the Penguins at London zoo have been hand reared, and are remarkably comfortable with human beings. It was one of the most enchanting half an hours of my life - and strangely calming. The keepers obviously love them, and as far as one could tell they seemed happy, and active.

More than can be said for the rest of London Zoo I'm afraid, which on New Year's Day afternoon  was a dismal place.  A wintry sun was shining down and yet it was cold. Three meerkats stood shivering under a bathroom heater in their enclosure;  the Lions had all taken to lying down in a concrete bunker;  the tiger was hiding behind  misted glass, and the only animals in evidence were various breeds of pig. One could just as easily have gone to the London City farm.  And having paid to come into the zoo, at every single turn are notices and slogans asking you to donate money.

 I don't fully appreciate how much it costs to run a zoological garden like London, dismal though it is, but I'm sure it's a lot of money. As someone who has already bought a ticket however, ( and released the national debt of a small African nation in order to park) I'm pretty sure I'm not the best person to ask for even more money. I've shown I am keen to support the zoo by buying a ticket in the first place. What's putting me off is constantly asking me for donations while I'm in there. It's like allowing people to buy a ticket for the theatre, and then putting adverts into the middle of the play to asked for more money to restore the theatre that they are already sitting in, having paid for a ticket. 

 I've visited zoos around the world  and I have to say that ,in comparison, London Zoo looked sad. 

 That's not a word that you could apply to the fantastic experience that is "Fuertzabruta".  Currently playing at the Roundhouse in North London until the end of January, it's an Argentinian mishmash of magic and dreams. I first saw it about six years ago when Richard first became involved with the marketing and selling of it and it was a fabulous experience then. We were invited to go on Thursday evening, and we took two friends of ours who had never seen it. Part of the joy was watching them, eyes wide with wonder, as the experience  unfolded.  I don't want to spoil it by telling you what happens here, but suffice it to say that it will widen your eyes with childish wonder; it will ruffle your hair; it will fill your ears, and it may even dampen your skin a little. You will come out of it an hour and a quarter later having had a wonderful experience and a fabulous time. The sort of thing I want 2013 to be full of. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today