Grandad, Grandad, We Love You.

It’s been a year of screen firsts for me. Kissing, scenes of high romance and now becoming a granddad.

It’s been a hectic week. Mum had a bad weekend last weekend, which necessitated a Sunday afternoon drive up to Yorkshire and an overnight stay. Tuesday saw a long day trip to Jersey – weekend break potential I feel having now seen the island – and there has been sessions of corporate training.

In the midst of all this, on Wednesday I spent a day on “Peep Show 7” Peep Show has been a glorious job for the last four years. The team on it are delightful. The scripts are fun and we have a laugh when we are making it.

Wednesday saw me return to Netherwylde Farm in Herts. where we filmed most of the stuff for my first ever scenes back in 2007. Then it was covered in snow and we froze in our trailers and had lunches in barns around campfires. Wednesday saw the last burst of summer and as my driver turned into the paddock where the unit base was, there was an atmosphere of country calm. The unit were doing a short day, so filming wasn’t to begin until after lunch. This meant we all arrived around midday for make up and costume and food.

Lunch on location is always a treat and our caterers, Hot Goblin, are one of the best. Great food, lots of choice, and a beautiful place to eat with the catering bus parked under a huge tree. After lunch, sitting outside our trailers, nearly finishing the Telegraph crossword with David (one of the real reasons I suspect I keep getting invited back, and the filming the dénouement to episode 4 of the new series.

I can’t give too much away, but feel its ok to say that the end of the episode takes place at the christening of Sophie’s baby, hence my screen grandfatherdom. An afternoon spent answering doors and chatting with my screen daughter, the delightful Olivia Coleman, is no penance. An oasis of calm and satisfaction in what of late has been a busy and sometimes stressful time.

The crew all know me and I’m made to feel very welcome every time I pop back to film for each new series. Evidently they have been commissioned for two more. I’m not sure how long the story of Mark and Sophie’s baby and the interference of her father can be carried on, but my fingers are crossed that it manages at least one of the next two outings.

Next week sees Rich and I on our late summer break. Five days in Valencia. If it brings to me half the calm of Netherwylde, it will be a break to remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today