The Sun Has Got His Hat On


The week has ended with a burst of golden summer.

We even rooted about in our shed - yes,we are the proud owners of a shed - and got the sunlounger and the deck chair out yesterday afternoon to spend an hour in the garden reading. Fabulously my Amazon Kindle works brilliantly in the sun shine - something the over hyped i pad won't do. This was a good dry run as in two weeks time it will be spending its days in the Turkish Sun on holiday!

I'm so looking forward to our annual holiday this year. The spare bedroom is about to see some pre packing this week, which even for me is early. Normally I like to do it the week before, but this year the anticipation is high and I can't wait.

I don't know whether it is just age, the run of various ailments that I've had this year or a general sense of recession related ennui but I want my holiday. I really can't get very excited about the jobs I'm doing at the moment and I want to be away from them.

We've done Turkey every year since 2000 with the exception of a somewhat ill fated boating trip along a French canal in 2002 and a trip to the Greek Isles in 2004. Since then we have realised that, just as at Christmas, Turkey is for us. The people are friendly, the climate is gorgeous, the food is great and it has always been relatively cheap. It used to be very cheap, but its popularity has spread. Three years ago Easy Jet bought the BA route into Dalaman and it's an airline hat really does change the demographic of a holdiay resort.

Until then our favourite resort had been Kalkan which used to be known as Hampstead on Sea. A small fishing village which when we first visited for one night in 2001 was really just one street leading up from the sea. We've had several gorgeous holidays there isnce, but now it is a sprawling resort and has had to swallow up its fair share of chavs attracted by cheap prices and cheap air fares.

Last year we found a beautiful villa hotel about 200 miles in the other direction. Ten individual villas set on the mountainside each with their own pool and a hotel bar and restaurant to use as you wish. They will serve you dinner in your villa at night if you fancy it, or you can eat on the terrace overlooking the bay as the sun slowly sets and the musky smells of night overwhelm you. It is idyllic.

This year we have the two storey Villa Sakiz and I'm already decorating it in my mind as we speak. What goes where, trips to the market for some fruit and salad stuff for long lazy lunches by our own pool and then alternating naps and reads on the kindle to keep me happy......and of course two whole weeks of Rich and I being together all the time. Which we love.

I'm hoping it might give me the injection I need for work which follows through the summer. Some soul work please and some interesting stuff.

Talking of work, my run in "Doctors" starts this Friday May 28th BBC 1 at 1.40. It's a small introductionbut then I go on throguhout the next week and end my stint on June 7th..by which time I shall be miles away, literally and metaphorically.

Comments

  1. Hi Paul - I've been enjoying watching you in Doctors on the iPlayer. Like your profile pic.

    And you have a very fancy shed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today