Christmas comes but once......

What a difference a day makes? That’s what the song says, and it’s the time of year when we start to think what a difference has 365 days made? For me, it’s considerable. This time last year, I faced the prospect of my first Christmas as a single man with no family. And it was not nice. I was saved by two dear, fabulous friends who took me into their home in France and gave me a beautiful, intimate and joyous Christmas. The journey from there has been full of surprises. Lots of travel for business and fun. Dogging with huskies in northern Norway; a week of shows and museums and shopping in the Big Apple; and a fabulous two-week single-handed odyssey of a trip around the land of the rising sun. Japan was the most stunning trip and the desire to return is great. Add a week in the sun on the Amalfi Coast and I have indeed been lucky. Work has been varied and fun. Letting the world see the results of a year's filming in 2022 as The Full Monty dropped on Disney. Directing events in Ibiza, Lisbon, Copenhagen, and Rome. And ending the year and starting next year with a nice four months of filming. And taking the Disney theme into my personal life, my prince has indeed come. I’m not sure whether I ever thought my perfect match would be a 6’4” Canadian skateboarder and car enthusiast, but it is such a prince who has turned my life around. This Christmas there is great anticipation on the good ship Scout. A minimalist designer tree replacing the cheap shit I bought from Argos last year and an intriguing pile of presents, gloriously wrapped and providing a perfect walking hazard as one tries to circumnavigate the breakfast bar. It will be a joy to spend Christmas day with someone for him and for me. And then, next week to set off together to the big apple to see a couple of shows, visits to a couple of museums, and very possibly, do a bit of shopping. There are all sorts of obligations for so many of us at Christmas. The obligation to be with family for those of us who love being nestled into the bosom of our families. That’s great, but it’s not always the case, and many of us would prefer the company of friends. The greatest thing is to be loved and to love, and to be able to do that at Christmas is magical. I am indeed lucky and I am deeply grateful. I hope that Christmas brings you everything you desire. Furthermore, I hope it brings you love. And I hope it brings you time with the people you want to be with. And I hope 2024 brings you opportunities and rewards a plenty. But then that’s a story for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today