A Festive Season?

As the end of 2022 comes into sight, it amazes me what a rollercoaster it’s been. After seven months filming, I am now making my way through conference season working with one of my favourite clients to stage several conferences. This means I’ve been at home much more and there has been more time for thoughts to slip through the cracks of my defences. Thoughts how my life has changed. Thoughts what I have gained and what I have lost, and time for reflection on the entire process.

Not helped because on a lot of flights across to Europe in the last 10 days I’ve been watching the brilliant series 5 of “The Crown”. I watch it out of loyalty after my brief but very remunerative appearance in season two, and it was nice to see several mates popping up in this season for what I hope were healthy inputs into their bank account. I couldn’t care whether it’s fiction or fact. It’s a story. I think at the beginning we all took it as fact because it was so far in the past and now as it nears our own more easily recalled time, we worry a little more that this might have happened. What it does, thanks to some fabulous casting, is make you think.

It’s not the programme to watch when one’s going through the process of divorce oneself, but Dominic West, who I think does a fantastic job, and the phenomenal Elizabeth Debicki, put the death throes of a relationship into the spotlight.

As yet, my newfound status hasn’t yet gained me an invitation to a yacht in St Tropez, but I have just spent pleasant weekends in Lisbon and Barcelona with new friends.

And yet I know well that it’s the time of year when we retreat into the bosom of our families to celebrate Christmas. It’s not a word I’ve got much joy for this year.

Were I to ask I’m sure a slew of lunch invitations would be forthcoming. And each one would be very welcome, but as my friend said to me over coffee one morning last week on the boat “it’s just another day isn’t it?.”

She’s right, but whether I am strong enough to spend it on my own with a burning stove, a packet of kippers and goodies from Marks & Spencer, is a question I don’t think I can answer at the moment.

I have the prospect of doing some rewrites and a new edition of my book “The Working Actor” during December and so a more hermit -like existence might take shape, but it will, for me and for many others, be a time when we reflect on loss.

It’s been great to discover what it is to enjoy being a single man again and there have been many positive experiences, but I am now on my own. No family, but lots of great friends.

How they shape the days to come will be great to see. One friend of mine who separated five years ago and now has a new partner said to me “I’ve never been happier.”

The thought that for me, that happiness may be yet to come, is something to carry me through the Christmas season and into 2023

Boys in Barcelona
Lunch in Lisbon

Cliff top walk in Cascais

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today