Finding the patience

For more years than I can remember the autumn for me has meant conference season. It’s a time to replenish the bank account and to work with a fabulous production team. It allows me to spend time with friends who work for one of the largest companies in the Uk, as I prep them for going on stage at their annual conference. It involves foreign travel and a late burst of sunshine. 

 This year, having spent seven months making a new tv series for a streaming service, I stepped into my conference director's shoes somewhat fatigued. Seven months of full on filming, moving house, becoming a single man again, and my patience has been sorely tried. Staging a conference requires infinite patience and this year mine, alas, was in short supply. And yet we did it. And not only did we stage two days of meetings, a barbecue and a gala dinner with the fabulous Me and Mrs Jones doing the disco, but I also took to the stage. 

 One presentation of thirty minutes repeated back to back four times. Having acquired the trust of five lovely people from the company who demonstrated cutting edge innovations, and purchased a new Paul Smith suit to give me a chance of looking trendy, we had a ball Not many people expect laughter at a business conference and yet it’s a great leaning tool. Get a genuine laugh and people listen. The results certainly showed as people left our show to head straight to the exhibition to get more details on what they had seen. 

 And now as an added bonus I’ve been given an extended stay for four days in the Algarve. As a newly single man, holidays could be a problem. The wonderful Mr Zain Iqbal has stepped into the breach twice this year on trips. And I did a solo weekend in Bratislava which was good fun. 

 But time in the sun? Alone? 

 I’ve walked. I’ve had spa treatments. I’ve curled up on the sofa on my suite with a movie or two and I’ve done a little work. I will be glad to get back to Scout, my boat on Monday evening, but these days have been good. Suddenly finding yourself single after 25 years is not the easiest thing. It can make me hard to be around. I’m learning who I am again. But if the new me can involve sun and sea, then it might just work. 

 Now when does that conference in Dubai start?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today