Vote for Isaac. He will make a difference.

I've really had my fill of elections. Whatever calamitous route the decision made on June 8 takes the country down, the real sense of relief on the morning of Friday will be that the campaigning, the endless platitudes, the oft repeated right-wing stance, the lefty Facebook rants, will ease  and although there will be a large portion of people who won't get what they want, at least we might feel we have made a step forward.

So this is probably not the best time to mention that the actor's trade union, Equity, has some forthcoming elections coming up. Not normally something that would ever make me blog, but on this occasion, there is someone I want to talk about.

I have to say I’ve never really been a great fan of Equity. I just don’t get it. It may be that as a   prospective actor in the 1970s, Equity represented the biggest barrier to me fulfilling my dreams. At that stage it was, like many other trade unions, a closed shop. Entry was strictly restricted and getting an Equity card was probably the biggest obstacle you faced as a young actor coming out of drama school.

There were various ways around it. You could submit a clutch of contracts gained from dubious cabaret appearances in nightclubs, care homes, and pubs - many of whom had probably never staged entertainment in their history. The repertory theatres each had a limited number of Equity cards to give away and they were highly sought after.

I became an Equity member because of a mistake in Equity’s own administration. Appearing as a featured extra (Captain of the Guard) in “The Sleeping Beauty” for the London Festival Ballet for one week at the Manchester Opera House, I was going to take a gamble. I submitted my contract to Equity and sat back and waited. Three months went by and I received no reply. I picked up the phone to ask about my application. They had no record of it and asked me about the work.  I told them and 10 days later, my provisional Equity card in a reasonably flimsy red leatherette wallet arrived in the post. A fellow drama school student had done the same job with me, but who hadn’t been so forward in his approach to Equity, now applied. Sadly, the union didn’t lose his application and he was told that the work did not qualifying for Equity membership. Mercifully he didn’t grass me up.

 I’ve never really had cause to use the services of the union, and the constant calls to political arms that I get from it irritate me. Indeed, while mainly working as a director during the early 1990s, I left it for a period of six years.

 Coming to write my two books, “So You Want to Be a Corporate Actor?” (2012) and “The Working Actor” (2016), gave me cause to interview Equity as part of my research and find out a little more in depth.  The interview about the corporate market for my first book was not very satisfactory. Equity seem to have little knowledge of actors who work in this area, and certainly the person I spoke to seemed surprised that anybody managed to earn a living from it. When told that many actors earned a much better living working in the corporate market than they do in theatre and television, the response was “Oh well, fancy that”. No concern that Equity don’t really have any guidelines for actors working in the market, and that their one intervention into the world of role-play some eight years ago only managed to lower the average daily rate paid to actors.

Young actors graduating from drama school these days do not have to join Equity.  The union may say it is a badge of your professionalism, but then so does Spotlight, a service that provides a much more tangible benefit to a professional actor.

Yet thanks to the excellent advice of Louise Grainger, Equity’s head of marketing, training, and events,  I was made aware of a whole range of services Equity now offer that make membership an almost foregone conclusion. The job service - regular information on fringe, educational, and drama training jobs updated daily; tax and benefit advice; insurance services; career advisers; public liability insurance –In my case essential when working in the corporate market, and the premium alone for buying this from another provider is equal to what I pay as an Equity subscription each year.

 So, while I still do have a great problem with the political side of Equity and the emails that exhort me to take to the barricades and march, I can now see the benefits of membership.

 Therefore it’s particularly impressive to see a young actor who wants to use Equity to help other young graduates. Isaac Stanmore is standing for membership of the Equity young members Council. He is not political. He’s not on a soapbox ranting about austerity. He wants to be part of the union to help make young graduates entering the profession more aware of how beneficial being an Equity member can be and just what the union can do for them in practical terms.

Isaac Stanmore 
And unlike the candidates in the current general election, he is doing something, and not just talking about it.

He’s built a website that will calculate your holiday pay due on Equity contracts in line with the guidelines. As somebody who was exceptionally surprised ten days ago to receive a lump sum of holiday pay at the end of a fringe contract, this website alone is a real boon. This is just one example of the sort of thing that Isaac wants to do if elected. Not adopting a political standpoint, but practical solutions that can help young people have a more effective career; that can educate them as to their rights and as to exactly what is available for their Equity subscription.

 That’s why I seconded him in the upcoming Equity elections.

 So please -  don’t throw your ballot paper away as so many people normally do. Open it up and find Isaac Stanmore. Give him the vote that I believe he so richly deserves.

He will make a difference.

Vote for Isaac Stanmore


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today