Checking on the Presents

I find the anticipation before Christmas almost unbearable. I have done since I was a small child. Just where are those presents hidden? I know my partner came home the other night with a large carrier bag which I saw him walking up the drive with, but which didn't seem to materialise when he walked into the lounge. It must be hidden somewhere in the flat. Now mercifully I'm past the age when I would root through cupboards, drawers and wardrobes in search of it. As a child, any hint or clue that might lead me to find a parcel hidden somewhere, and on some occasions, even to unwrap something were too hard to resist.

Now I suffer in silence. I know Santa's sack will be bulging on Christmas morning and I will have total joy in the surprises. This year I haven't even given anyone a Christmas list so I've no idea what I will be getting.

Partly in order to defray this horrendous sense of anticipation, I like to do a little thinking back over the year as to just what presents I've already been given. For those of us who work on a freelance basis, presents quite often equal work.  And I have to admit I had some lovely presents this year.

I've been able to create an ongoing relationship with a brilliant young theatre group in Bucharest which has meant three trips over there and more are planned for 2017. Keen young actors eager to make the most of their craft, and whether I've been working in English or Romanian, it's been a hugely enjoyable experience.

I've managed just enough tentative appearances on the TV screen to remind people who I am, and in the corporate world I have been very lucky indeed to work with clients whom I love, and with people who are keen to learn. I am incredibly appreciative of the colleagues I work with whose skill and trust in me helps enhance what I deliver.

Perhaps the greatest present this year was being asked to be patron of Grimm And Co,  a fabulous children's literacy charity based in my home town of Rotherham which gave me what was probably the best night of the year when we staged our Glorious Grand Gala at Barnsley Civic. Again made possible by the support of so many colleagues and friends, it reminded me of the true magic of theatre and just what it can do for people.

And that  strengthened my resolve that my work plan for 2017 has to include a piece of theatre. It will be nine years since I was last on stage as an actor and the cogs may be rusty, but the heart is willing. I don't want a long run. I don't want to be tied up away from home for weeks on end. I just want that innate thrill of being on stage with brilliant fellow actors in front of a live audience for two hours in the evening.

That's my number one objective for 2017 and I'm already putting in place steps to achieve it. Quite often looking back, it comes as a surprise as to just what one has achieved. A young actor of whom I am a great fan has had a hard year looking for work, and yet looking back over the last 12 months, a feature film, a computer game, 10 weeks in a musical, and several days of corporate role-play would seem to suggest that he is very much on the right course. A fact enhanced by the news that his 2017 will start with rehearsals for a new musical in February.

So  amidst all the wrapping paper and the delights of receiving the perfect present, or the fixed grimace receiving articles of clothing that just aren't you, take a moment to think of what those objectives are for the next year.

Want to earn a certain amount? Want to play a certain number of nights on stage? Want a certain number of days in front of a camera? The more specific the objective, the easier it is to set about achieving it. And yes there can be dreams in your Christmas presents?  but dreams are quite often in the hands of other people. and making 2017 a success will be down to what you do for yourself

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today