Getting an Edge.


I'm always surprised that after standing up in front of people for over 40 years since my early appearances in school plays, I still get immeasurably nervous.

Last Friday I had been asked to deliver a presentation on effective communication to the leadership team at a.k.a. Those keen witted amongst you will have spotted that that is the company that my partner Richard works for, and has done so for the last 10 years. Any presentation delivered to the leadership team was also going to be delivered to him.

It's an irony that has not escaped me that I spend a great deal of my time working with people on presentation technique, how to cope with nerves, and how to deliver effective presentations. Indeed I have made a great deal of money out of it over the last 10 to 15 years. I know my stuff. I know that the things I say work. I know how effective the sessions can be. Yet suddenly called upon to deliver one to a group of highly creative people which would include the person I love and whose life I have shared for 16 years gave me a week of virulent nervous trembles and worry. Rich can be my sternest critic. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I know that even if I need it, I won't have my ego falsely massaged by. He will tell it as it is. It is one of his strengths and it's one of the things I love about him, but it never makes it easy when I'm doing something and he's in the audience

Nerves are a good thing. There have been very few occasions in my work when I haven't been nervous. In fact I can remember probably only one in the early days of conference presenting when I walked on stage with hardly a shred of nerves. During the course of the morning I managed to misread the auto cue on several occasions, mis-introduce somebody, and trip up. Because I had no edge. I had no adrenaline coursing through my system to give me that sharpness live performance or presentation of any kind needs.

Nerves can get in the way. When they leave you with trembling hands, sweaty palms, an inability to swallow, and sometimes unstoppable urge to vomit, there may have to be dealt with. And they can be, with breathing exercises and focus exercises, and that is some of what I deal with.

So on Friday afternoon (not helped by being the afternoon of Friday the 13th!) I had to really practice what I preach. I had run through my presentation several times at home, and I had restructured it as many times both in my mind and on paper.

As it turned out, indeed as it turns out on many occasions, I didn't need half of the material that I had prepared. The leadership team at a.k.a. were an energetic, welcoming, eager to learn and friendly group hungry to soak up information. I had no problem getting volunteers for any of my exercises, and the discussion on the various techniques was lively and enlightening. I had a great afternoon, and I hope they did too.

And my sternest critic? 

The reviews were good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today