That was the week that was.

As a freelancer, life follows no routine pattern. Therefore most weeks one is lucky enough to do something special and unique that you may not do again. It's a shame therefore when one gets to the end of a week and one looks back and thinks that the past seven days were a bit dull.

The highlight undoubtedly was seeing "Hair" at the Gielgud theatre on Tuesday night. Rich saw the first night of this production last year on Broadway and was at the first night in London last week so I caught up with it with friend Lee on Tuesday evening and we loved it. My previous memory of it was some tatty revival at Her Majesty's in 1976 and didn't understand it at all.

This production positively heaves with energy, zing and sheer 70's love - the cast are superb and the songs come singing out across the years. It is a must. Not for nothing did Rich say it was one of the best things he;d ever seen on Broadway. Go now!
Ok. Commercial over. the rest of the week was pretty run of the mill. Performing a networking seminar to a group of business women on Monday evening known as Women on the Wharf. Their title made me expect some sort of convention of Victorian barge women, but instead one got a hundred very savvy, very power dressed women who work in or around Canary Wharf attending a seminar for tips on networking at social functions. Working with the lovely Fran Ryan, I had a ball. Not sure how much they learnt but they enjoyed it.

The rest of the week was more roleplay and corporate stuff. All stuff I have done before. Not that I am ungrateful for it, though it was difficult spending Wednesday being a rather dull doctor when my heart was away filming "Waking The Dead"(See Last weeks entry), just that it takes more to thrill or surprise me. I like work about which I get nervous. Not a throb of nerves or anticipation entered my body on Wednesday so the fulfillment ratio was low.

If I don't get nervous before something I don't enjoy it. I get nervous before our holidays, either because we are going to a new place or because of tricky travel arrangements etc. I get nervous before big social events, and yet as the relief floods through me that it's done and dusted I get a huge surge of satisfaction and enjoyment.

The only thing giving me nerves at the moment is my forthcoming eye operation. Having reached the age of 53 without ever having an operation in hospital of any kind, I can imagine that the night before will not be one where I rest easy in my bed. Not that I do many nights anyway.

Life needs a kick ,a bit of soul food at the moment. It'll come along - it always does, but when the anticipation cupboard is empty, the weeks do seem long.

Theatre always fills it up, but these days theatre just isn't an option financially.

One result on that front this week. the wonderful people at Crossroads in Rotherham who provide the morning carer for my Mum have managed to get half my mum's care funded for me at long last. After snotty social workers, and a system that shuns responsibility has done its best, at last we manged to get the GP to sign off the fact that bed changing and washing etc are things that she does need help with so a saving of over £2k on my care bills is no small help.

If anything would make me vote for nay f the parties in the farrago that is the forthcoming election, it owuld be the fact that they had viable social care policies for the elderly. After all in a couple of Parliaments time, I night need it myself!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today