New tricks for the old dog!

Probably one of the most wonderful things about being a freelancer and an actor is the element of surprise.

Amidst the insecurity of unemployment, the constant jiggling of bank accounts while waiting for invoices to be paid and the never ending lack of confidence and absolute certainty that you will never work again, there are small diamonds of surprise that sparkle in the mire.
Two this week for me as Jupiter moves into Pisces for the first time in ten years. I was offered a telly without auditioning for it. Out of the blue the phone rings with the rather wonderful Kevin from my agents office announcing that the BBC have just rung to ask if I would do five episodes of "Doctors", their flagship daytime soap. This is the first time that this has happened. I have auditioned for thousands of tellys but never before has one, and a meaty one at that, been offered without an interview - Word is getting out at last..

It's nice to think that even after 31 years of being an actor one can still be surprised.

I am wondering if the second surprise will feel as good.

I'm playing Rowly Camarole, flamboyant love interest - for a woman. So on my first day of filming Miss Diane Keen will have the pleasure of my lips on two occasions.

I've never kissed on screen before. Come to that, the number of woman I've kissed in that way off screen can be counted on the fingers of an oven glove. To me the pouting lips of the female are like the lost sands of the Kalahari. I've a rough idea where they are but I don;t want to go there. I know the rule is no tongue- mercifully, but a whole bevy of technical problems come to mind involving lip stick and lip gloss and length and intensity.

In the end I will just let nature take it's course.I'm sure there'll be no illicit stirrings.

I start filming on Tuesday and then on wednesday we are off to Venice for our birthday break for four days. Within hours of landing back at Gatwick on the Sunday I shall be racing off once more to the arms of Miss Keen in Birmingham for a further four days filming.
So after a few days exploring the Bridge of Size and St Marks and Spencers square, it will be back to exploring the lower depths of daytime tv .

It airs in June and by a strange coincidence I leave the country on the day of the last episode. No conclusions should be drawn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Years Reign

A Single Monty

Living for today